Easy step Report
Go outside more than an hour after sunset (8-10 pm local time)
Five Easy Star Hunting Steps for new observers
- Use the Globe at Night website to help find your constellation in the night sky.
- Use the Globe at Night website to find the latitude and longitude of the location where you are making your observation.
- Go outside more than an hour after sunset (8-10 pm local time). The Moon should not be up. Let your eyes become used to the dark for 10 minutes before your first observation.
- Match your observation to one of 7 magnitude charts and note the amount of cloud cover.
- Report the date, time, location (latitude/longitude), the chart you chose, and the amount of cloud cover at the time of observation. Make more observations from other locations, if possible. Compare your observation to thousands around the world!:
Jump in now and take a reading from you backyard or while you are going for a walk
OR GO STRAIGHT TO THIS APP
- If you have an iPhone that can run iOS 10 or later, take a look at the Dark Sky Meter app, just $1.99 in the App Store.
Help to keep the Night Dark by turning off all unnecessary lighting.
then the beauty of the night and the amazing light shows are visible to all.
Image Credit: Alex Chereny, Terrastro.
The Observatory has been supporting this event since 2015.