This Observatory, situated at Mount Pleasant in Ballarat, was established on the initiative and with the financial support of James Oddie, and was formally opened to the public in 1886. When Oddie presented the Observatory to the people of Ballarat, it became the first municipal observatory in Australia.
The Ballaarat Astronomical Society was formed in 1958 and has managed the Observatory programs and telescope collection since it’s inception.
The main activity is a program of education, with various activities and events.
Saeed Salimpour: Resident Astrophysicist.
Judith Bailey: Observatory Manager.